Cycling and Cooking in Italy
Join Italiaoutdoors Food and Wine as we enjoy a cycling tour through the Veneto, Italy, a diverse region located along the shores of the Adriatic sea and at the foot of the Dolomite mountains. The Venetian Republic, once a world power, is a remarkable reflection of Italian history and style: full of Renaissance art, fine food and wine, history.
Our biking tour follows one of the old trade routes that distributed spices and goods from the east throughout Western Europe, and so has one of the most diverse regional cuisines in all of Italy. We wander through the flat farmlands, by stately 16th and 17th century villas, around volcanic hills and into the foothills of the Pre-Alps. By day we bike gentle routes, in the afternoon learn about foods and the art of cooking and savor parts of the "Italian Dolce Vita" with classic Veneto cuisine, all the while being hosted in welcoming family run villa hotels.
Your guides for your Veneto culinary cycling adventure are Italiaoutdoors Food and Wine owners, chef and cooking instructor Kathy Bechtel, and recreational specialist, Vernon McClure, recently named one of "Italy's Best Local Guides." Together, Kathy and Vernon create uniquely authentic, intimate adventures in Italy. Limited to 8 participants, our small group size allows us unparalleled access to family producers, the opportunity to join the locals at their favorite neighborhood trattoria, or dine at that exclusive ten table ristorante.
Our seven day/six night Chefs on Bikes adventure:
$4295 USD ppdo* We welcome solo travelers with the lowest single supplement in the industry - $300!
Limited to 8 participants, for a highly personalized experience, and the best access to small local producers.
Have a small group of 4 or more? This trip can be run as a private trip for your group, for the same price. We can customize the rides for the skill and fitness level of your group, from expert climbers to casual tourist riders.
Check out our Chefs on Bikes video, showing some highlights of past tours!
We begin our bike tour along the Brenta River, touring Palladian estates and villas from the Venetian Empire. In the afternoon, the hosts at our villa, the Dal Corso family, shows us how to make gnocchi with fresh scallops. We've also had the opportunity to learn invaluable skills, such as sabering the top off of our prosecco bottle.
Our next stop on our bicycle tour is Vicenza, the “City of Palladio”. We will taste wines from local producers in the Euganie Hills and Tocai Rosso wines of the Berici Hills.
Then it is on to Asolo, considered by many to be one of the loveliest towns in Italy. It is a tiny hamlet with an abundance of quaint, winding streets and a graceful piazza overlooking the valley.
On our way we stop in Cittadella, a famous walled city from the 1100's, built by the city of Padova to defend its territory. As we close out our week long bike tour, we head into the foothills and vineyards of the Strada del Prosecco to taste some of the sparkling wine that has made this area so famous.
Biking works up our appetites for some wonderful Northern Italian meals. Kathy will introduce us to many local dishes and specialties. The noble region of the Veneto is home to risotto and polenta, as well as homemade pastas spiced with radicchio, rucola and endive. Seafood lovers will rejoice in the freshly caught frutti di mare prepared in the Venetian tradition.
What are our cooking classes like? Lots of fun!
"Kathy empowers everyone to get involved and know that they are all capable of cooking a gourmet meal. She also promotes the local, sustainable way of shopping and cooking, be it in Italy, or at home. Kathy is personable and makes it fun, there is a lot of laughter and camaraderie that people remember for a long, long time." - NM, Maine.
Some Veneto Favorites
- Cycling along the Brenta River, visiting historic villas
- Two hands-on cooking classes
- Nightly accommodations at 3 elegant hotels
- Volcanic hills of the Euganie and their wonderful olive oils
- Private guided tour of Vicenza
- Sampling classic Venetian antipasti at a local, family-run trattoria
- Biking through the Prosecco vineyards
- Two days in Asolo, "The City of a Hundred Horizons"
- Sipping a Bellini
Our tour includes
- Limited to 8 participants maximum
- 6 nights accommodations at 3+ star hotels
- All ground transfers
- All breakfasts, snacks on the road as we bike, 4 dinners; the dinners include local wines
- Wine tastings
- Bike rental, equipped with water bottle, bag, and GPS
- Support along bike route
- All tips, gratuities, and local taxes
- Any entry fees to museums, villas, other venues we may visit
- Services of Kathy and Vernon throughout the trip
* Single supplement of $200
To sign up, send us an email. We personally work with each and every guest to answer all questions, and make sure our trip is customized to your abilities and preferences. We're also happy just to chat, and hear how you would like to travel.
- Bike Tours for Wine Lovers: Bike the Wine Roads of Italy
- Winter in Italy - Ski, Food and Wine
- Private Travel - Custom Bike Tours for all levels of Cyclists: Easy tourist routes to the most challenging climbs in the Dolomites
- Italiaoutdoors: Who We Are - your expert guides